Sunday 10 March 2013

DMAIC Phase Two - Measure


In the measure phase I used Time Study to;

· Measure the work content for the entire process with a view to measuring how balanced the work load is between each of the stations/operators on-line.
This was a particularly delicate task as it involved not only observing, but timing people doing their work. Being observed makes most people uncomfortable mainly because it leaves them open to possible questions and/or criticism. I was very conscious that the incorrect environment could negatively affect the studies so in an effort to ensure that the operators were at ease with me observing them, I set up a kick off meeting the day before I was due to commence the studies to share with the operators what a typical study would involve, when I'd complete the studies, why I was completing the studies, what I needed from them & finally who would be studied. In relation to who would be studied I clarified that anybody who was fully trained on a process would be suitable to complete the study with, and I did not wish to complete studies with specific individuals, this I think removed any ideas the operators may have had that I was "going after" any one individual.
Completing the task itself consisted of noting each of the elements for a process step, and then measuring & recording the actual time it took to complete each of those elements - I completed this task for 10 of the units. The time studies varied from being very monotonous to needing 100% concentration to ensure that the time for any particular element wasn’t missed. I think that it’s a good tool for getting a picture of the times required to complete process steps. See example raw data below from one time study below.


I also completed a WIP Count to:
· Measure how much work in process (WIP) was on the manufacturing line, with a view to examining if any stations are seeing excessive build-up of WIP and if stations are repeatedly running out of WIP.
This task is pretty simple & involves counting & recording of how much WIP was on each of the workstations of the line at various times throughout the shift & repeating this task daily for a period of time. See example raw data below.

No comments:

Post a Comment